Moving House in the Netherlands

Moving house is complicated: changing address, notifying electricity, water and telephone companies, your satellite provider, tax office, bank. This list of essential "to-do" items should simplify your move in the Netherlands...

Moving house always requires a lot of preparation and endless planning, but there are some specifics to remember when moving in Holland. Below are a few tips and points on all that must be done when moving house in Holland.

Town Hall

First go to the current Town Hall (Stadhuis) and cancel registration from the Register of Population. Then register at the new Town Hall.

Residence Permits

The Foreign Police (Vreemdelingenpolitie) needs to be informed as soon as possible of any change of address – the residence permit is only valid with an accurate address. The police will need to see proof of the new address (for example a rental agreement or Town Hall registration).


The Netherlands Post Office can provide a mail redirection service. This is usually done by filling out a mail redirection form at the current Post Office. Sometimes there is a small fee for the forwarding service.

Driving Licence and Car Registration

Drivers who hold a Dutch driving licence or have a car registered in their name must notify the Department of Road Transport (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer or RDW) of their new address.

There is a call service for general information related to the Dutch driving licence:

  • P.O. Box 51 Infolijn
    : 0800 8051
    Open: 09:00–21:00 weekdays

Insurance companies need to be notified of a change of address. Home insurance may be transferred to a new property. If the description or size of the new home is very different, a reassessment may be necessary.

Social Security and Taxes

In Holland, taxes are deducted directly from salary. However, it is always advisable to inform the tax authorities about any change of address.


Generally, when moving home, the utilities in the new location will already be connected, although the service will need to be re-registered in the incoming occupant's name.

People renting a flat or a house should ask the estate agent to arrange connection to the utilities, or contact the Town Hall for details of the local energy supplier (utility providers depend on the area).


As well as contacting the school to let them know the child will be leaving it is advisable to obtain copies of school records to give to the next school. The municipal offices in the new location should provide a list of state schools, and will see to enrolment.

Remember to Contact
  • Employer
  • Doctors/dentists in order to have any health records transferred
  • Banks where accounts are held
  • Any organisation where a subscription is held
Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

What's On

General Market

Open air market in Vredenburg square. Open Wednesday 10:00-17:00, Friday 10:00-18:00 and Saturday 08:00-17:00.

More Details

Jazz in Cafe Alex

Blues/Jazz played on Sunday afternoon for 16:30. Cafe Alex, Gasthuisplein 9A. Telephone contact: 023 571 9205.

More Details

Business Directory:
Related Categories

Content Sponsor


Moving abroad? Get top quality international health insurance from CIGNA Global Health Options.... Find out more...

Bupa Global

This July, get a FREE quote for worldwide health cover for you and your family: 24 hour medical... Find out more...

Clear FX: Save money with no hidden costs

Whether it is a single large payment for a property purchase or smaller regular payments for a... Find out more...



Useful local maps covering all key areas of Amsterdam


More AngloINFO


Explore the world of AngloINFO through our 88 regional websites and 41 country websites


Featured Information

Income Tax

Income Tax

Find out about the tax responsibilities for residents, non-residents and partial non-residents.

Setting Up Home

Setting Up Home

Find out how to get power and water connected to your home and how to get the rubbish removed.


Useful Tools

Online Translation

Use our simple translation tool to translate from almost any language to any other.



Public Holidays in Amsterdam

Key information about the national public holidays in Netherlands as well as local public holidays in Amsterdam