Registering with AngloINFO is quick and simple and gives you a lot of additional opportunities to benefit from AngloINFO's many services. It's also completely free of charge.Read More...
Buses, Trams, Metro and Train Services in Amsterdam
Details of the regional and city public transport system...
Below find information on:
GVB is the main public transport company in Amsterdam. It covers bus, tram, ferry and metro services in the city, in the surrounding towns, Diemen and Amstelveen, and Amsterdam-Schiphol airport.
There are 30 bus routes, 16 tram lines, 8 ferry links and 4 metro lines in the city.
GVB provides an online guide to all its services in a number of languages.
- To view timetables, maps, ticket and OV-chipkaart information in English: Click here
- GVB Customer Services
Tel: 0900 8011
There are four coloured metro lines in Amsterdam. Three of the lines run from Centraal station to Gaasperplas, Gein and Westwijk. The fourth line runs from Gein to Isolatorweg.
- To view a metro map: Click here
Tickets and travel passes
There are a number of ticket options for GVB services:
- One hour disposable cards
- Day tickets for one to seven days
- OV-chipkaart: a travel card that charges passengers per trip or per kilometre
- There are many other tickets and travel passes that can be purchased depending on the passenger's travel needs; for further information: Click here
Children under the age of 4 travel for free. Children aged 4 to 11 year and people over the age of 65 are entitled to discounted travel. Reduced fare tickets must be purchased in advance.
All tickets are available at ticket offices. Certain tickets can also be purchased from machines in metro stations or in advance from post offices, Albert Jeijn supermarkets and tobacconists. Passengers can also purchase tickets on board trams and buses from the driver or conductor.
- For more information about tickets: Click here
GVB buses allow small pets to travel free of charge, provided they are in a suitable basket or bag, or on a lead with a short leash. Travel on the metro and trams needs approval beforehand.
Bicycles are allowed on the metro and IJ tram 26 outside of rush hour. Passengers with bikes must purchasea bicycle travel card.
Night buses (Nacht-bussen)
Amsterdam tram, bus and metro services run from 06:00-00:30. During the night, there are eleven night bus routes running between 00:30-07:30.
- For further information about night buses: Click here
Connexxion is the largest public transport company in the Netherlands and serves most of the country. It runs local and regional buses in Flevoland, Gelderland and North Holland.
The Connexxion website gives information on departure times and schedules, provides a travel planner and also supplies maps for the walking routes between specified addresses and their stops. Maps of the various lines can be found at bus stops and can also be obtained from some information offices.
- For further information: Click here
Buses in Almere, Lelystad and Flevoland
Connexxion manages bus services in Flevoland.
The main routes in Almere and Lelystad are covered by Hanzeliner 330, Maxx Almere, Lelybus and Qliner 315.
Lelybus Nite Service and Nachtbus Flevoland provide night bus services in the region.
- For more information on bus services in Flevoland: Click here (in Dutch)
Buses in Haarlem and North Holland
The main bus companies in Haarlem are Zuidtangent and Regioliner. Night buses are provided by Niteliner.
- For further details of bus services in North Holland: Click here (in Dutch)
Buses and trams in Arnhem, Nijmegen and Gelderland
City bus and tram services in Arnhem are managed by Connexxion.
Buses and trams in Utrecht
GVU is the local transportation company in Utrecht. The company provides an interactive route map with street names on the website.
- GVU (in Dutch)
At: Radboudkwartier 245, 3511 CK Utrecht
Tel: 030 236 3636
Information Tel: 030 231 7962
- For information of other bus and tram services in Utrecht: Click here (in Dutch)
Several Park & Ride services operate in the Netherlands. For a small fee customers can park their car and access free public transport (for up to 5 people).
- For information on the Park & Ride system in Amsterdam: Click here
The OV-taxi is a shared public taxi service operating in North-Holland. The service can be used for transport to or from 10 train stations in the province. It is available 06:00-24:00 seven days a week.
Tickets are available from the OV-Taxi driver. The cost of a fare is based on the number of zones travelled.
- OV Reisinformatie
Tel: 0900 9292
- For more information: Click here and select OV-taxi from the menu
- Central Station, Stationsplein 15, 1012 AA Amsterdam
- Amstel, Julianaplein 1, 1097 DN Amsterdam
- Bijlmer, Hoogoorddreef, 1102 BH Amsterdam
- Duivendracht, Stationsplein 1, 1115 BZ Duivendrecht
- Lelylaan, C. Lelylaan 25, 1062 AD Amsterdam
- Muiderpoort, Oosterspoorplein 1, 1093 JW Amsterdam
- RAI, Europaboulevard 6, 1083 AD Amsterdam
- Sloterdijk, Orlyplein 105, 1043 DT Amsterdam
- Zuid/WTC, Zuidplein 10, 1077 XV Amsterdam
Almere and Lelystad:
- Almere Buiten, Noordeinde 170, 1334 BC Almere
- Almere Centrum, Stationsplein 27, 1315 KT Almere
- Almere Muziekwijk, Strawinskypad 100, 1323 PZ Almere
- Almere Oostvaarders, Oostvaardersplein, Almere
- Almere Parkwijk, Spoorbaanpad, 1326 CN Almere
- Lelystad Centrum, Stationsplein 9, 8232 DL Lelystad
- Bolwerk, Kinderhuissingel, Haarlem
- Kennemerplein 1, 2011LR Haarlem
- Rijksstraatweg, Amsterdamsevaart 274, Haarlem
- Spaarnwoude, Woudplein 4, 2031CZ Haarlem
Arnhem and Nijmegen:
- Arnhem Zuid, Metamorfosenallee 75, 6843 TZ Arnhem
- Presikhaaf, Elenovastraat, 6824 EX Arnhem
- Stationsplein 38, 6811 KK Arnhem
- Velperpoort, ir J.P. Van Muijlwijkstraat 185, 6828 BN Arnhem
- Dukenburg, Zwanenveld 8401, 6538 TL Nijmegen
- Heyendaal, Prof. Bellefroidstraat 5, 6525 AG Nijmegen
- Stationsplein 6, 6512 AB Nijmegen
- Centraal Station, Stationshal 12, 3511 CE Utrecht
- Lunetten Station, Furkaplateau, 3524 ZH Utrecht
- Maliebaan Station, Maliebaanstation 18, Utrecht
The locations of other Dutch train stations can be found on Stationsweb (in Dutch).
Trains to Schiphol Airport
Schiphol station is located directly beneath the airport, near the arrival hall and the departure lounge and is easily reached from any railway station in The Netherlands. Generally only one change may be needed to reach Schiphol from anywhere in Holland.
Ardea Auto FORD Holland’s largest Ford dealers is your partner in mobility. 21 locations... Find out more...
Moving abroad? Get top quality international health insurance from CIGNA Global Health Options.... Find out more...
Independent financial advice to professionals, expats and small businesses on taxes, mortgages,... Read more...
Specialised in renting and letting properties. Service orientated and personal approach to find... Read more...